A cup (approx. 33 grams) of alfalfa sprouts contain just 8 calories.
Other nutritional facts include:
- It is low in Saturated Fat, Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol.
- It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamin A, Niacin and Calcium.
- It a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper and Manganese.
- It contains more protein than any other plant foods
Health benefits of eating alfalfa herb in your diet
- Taken as health supplements as it is rich in chlorophyll, various vitamins and micro nutrients.
- It contain saponins that prevent absorption of cholesterol in the gut and prevent formation of artery plague.
- Studies prove that alfalfa seeds can be added to the diet to help normalize serum cholesterol concentrations in patients with type II HLP. So, it helps to lower total cholesterol, often used by people with high cholesterol levels.
- It contains phytoestrogens because of which it is widely used for treating hormonal imbalance.
Traditional medicinal uses of alfalfa seeds, leaves and sprouts
- It is used in kidney, bladder and prostate problems.
- It is also used for asthma, arthritis and diabetes.
- It is antipyretic, diuretic, appetite stimulant and hemostatic in nature.
Recommended dosage: 5-10 grams of herb
Precaution, risks and warnings
- Avoid consuming large amounts of alfalfa seeds as it can potentially cause damage to red blood cells in the body.
- Avoid alfalfa is you have an auto-immune problem such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions. As, it can aggravate lupus and other auto-immune disorders.
- Avoid taking during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- Avoid using if you have hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels closely while taking alfalfa as it can lower blood sugar levels.
Avoid taking alfalfa in any form if, you are taking following medications
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
- Birth control pills (Contraceptive drugs)
- Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs)
- Medications that decrease the immune system (Immunosuppressants)
- Medications that increase sensitivity to sunlight (Photosensitizing drugs)
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.
- Health2017.10.18Banato / kamala proven benefits, uses and nutrition
- Health2017.07.31Sorghum jowar amazing proven nutritional health benefits uses
- Health2017.07.31Stevia- nutrition, proven benefits, uses, make stevia extract at home from fresh or dried leaves
- Uncategorized2017.07.29What does science says about Monkey tail uses and benefits?