Some of the health benefits of eating avocado include it’s ability to provide protection against heart, liver damage and eye disease. It act as anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory , regulate blood sugar, promote wound healing and helps to solve skin problems like psoriasis.
Nutritional value of avocado
- The Biological Name of avocado is Persea Americana.
- A 100 gm of avocado has about 160 calories.
- It is also known as Abacate (Portugese), Avocat (French), Abukado (Filipino), AvokÃ¡do (Czech), Makhanphal (Hindi), Vennai Pazham (Tamil), Alpukat (Marathi), Mager Nashpati (Urdu), Benne Hannu (Kannada) in many households.
- It is one of the most nutritious fruit that contains proteins, dietary fiber, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Vitamins( Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, pantothenic acid ), and minerals (Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Fluoride).
Health Benefits of Avocado
1. Skin problems
Studies has found that a B12 cream containing avocado oil has potential for the treatment of psoriasis. It is also rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E and many carotenoids which makes it a great ingredients for anti-aging.
2. Bone health
Avocado appear to have a preventive effect on joint space loss in osteoarthritis of the hip. In other study, avocado is safe and effective in the treatment of symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee and hip. Osteoarthrosis, is also known as degenerative arthritis which is a type of joint disease that results from breakdown of joint cartilage and underlying bone. Avocados are also rich in vital minerals such as zinc, phosphorous, copper, and trace amounts of calcium and selenium. All of these helps to lower the risks of osteoporosis and improveme bone mineral density.
3. Good for eyes
In a study, consumption of avocados with meals increases the bioavailability of provitamin A carotenoids. Also it is rich in other nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin, that strengthen the eye muscle and prevent the mascular degeneration related disease of the eyes such as cataract.
Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid) and antioxidants (carotenoids, tocopherols, polyphenols) which helps to prevent inflammation related disease. Adding avocado in diet has beneficial anti-inflammatory and vascular health effects.
5. Prevent formation of dangerous blood clots or anti-thrombotic
Studies has found acetogenins from avocado pulp inhibited platelet aggregation with a potential preventive effect on thrombus formation such as those that occur in ischaemic diseases.
6. Wound healing
Avocado fruit effectively contributes to wound healing.
7. Regulate blood sugar
Studies has shown, avocado seed extract significantly reduces blood glucose levels in diabetes by encouraging beta cell regeneration.
A natural sugar from avocado has an anti-fungal which inhibits the growth of various infections.
Avocado is rich in lutein and other related carotenoids such as zeaxanthin, alpha-carotene, and beta-carotene. The phytochemicals present in avocado fruit selectively induce cell cycle arrest, inhibit growth, and induce cell death in precancerous and cancer cell lines. Eating avocado has chemopreventive activity and significantly reduces the cancer risk.
In a study, avocado extract inhibits prostate cancer cell growth.
In another study, avocado extracts induce programmed cell death in oral cancer cell lines.
The current study for the first time demonstrates avocado fruit has anti-cancer effect on esophageal and colon cancer cells.
The polyphenols along with other strong antioxidants such as carotenoids and tocopherols, helps to prevent body cells from oxidative stress damage.
12. Parasitic Diseases
Study has found, avocado seed extract has significant anti-Candida and larvicidal activity. This helps to prevent and treat candida infections and parasitic disease.
13. Enhances nutrient absorption
Best way to eat avocados is during meal along with other fruits and vegetables. It increase the carotenoid absorption rate up to 3 to 5 times, help to prepare digestive tract to function better and protect the body from free radical damage. Avocado consumption is associated with improved overall diet quality, nutrient intake, and reduced risk of metabolic syndrome.
14. Heart health
Avocado is rich source of beta-sitosterol, that helps to lower cholesterol levels, protect heart from atherosclerosis and other vascular disease. Also avocado contains potassium that plays significant role in preventing hypertension, relaxes the tension of blood vessels and arteries,which reduces the risk of heart attack , stroke or any other cardiac problems.
15. Liver health
The bioactive ingredients found in avocado reduces the risk of liver damage and provide liver detoxification from the toxins buildup.
16. Reduces body weight
In a study, avocado Pulp is rich in dietary fiber that helps to reduces body weight and total liver fat.
In a research study, avocado leaves has anti-ulcer effects which might be due to its ability to reduce gastric secretion and can be used for the treatment of ulcer.
- Top 9 foods to eat to treat Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) naturally
- Top 14 Reasons to eat zucchini
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.
- Health2017.10.18Banato / kamala proven benefits, uses and nutrition
- Health2017.07.31Sorghum jowar amazing proven nutritional health benefits uses
- Health2017.07.31Stevia- nutrition, proven benefits, uses, make stevia extract at home from fresh or dried leaves
- Uncategorized2017.07.29What does science says about Monkey tail uses and benefits?