The scientific name of the carrot is Daucus carota L.
Carrot is an erect, vegetable herb, growing 30 to 60 centimeters in height, with 2to 3 pinnate leaves, the ultimate leaflet being oblong-lanceolate or linear. Flowers are small, white, or yellow, borne in compound umbels. Fruit is small, ellipsoid, dorsally compressed, bristled and ribbed. The tap root is robust, sometimes swollen, fleshy, and yellow or orange-colored.
– Leaves contain a volatile oil with pyrrolidine, daucine, and mannite.
– Roots yield volatile oil 0.0114%; fixed oil, carotin, lecithin, phosphatide, glutamine, sugar 4 to 12%, d-glucose, malic acid, pectin 1 to 3%, asparagine, inosite, etc.
– Leaves and seeds yield an alkaloid; the seeds, in addition, yield a bitter glucoside.
Astringent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, sudorific.
Culinary / Nutritional / Edibility
– A valued vegetable, eaten raw or cooked.
– An ingredient of pickle/ achara; also used in various dishes.
– Roots are a good source of calcium, iron, and phosphorus; a fair source of vitamin B; and a source of vitamins A, C and B2.
– In Java, the young leaves are eaten.
Folkloric uses and remedies
– Believed to be beneficial for cancers and kidney problems.
– For coughs and chest afflictions, the roots are boiled in milk; the milk is drunk and a poultice of the root is
applied to the chest.
– In Mexico, roots are boiled in milk and used for coughs and chest affliction.
– For burns and infected ulcers, grated carrots are applied to th
e affected parts.
– Ointment made from roots and lard used for burns and scalds.
– Raw carrots eaten as mechanical anthelmintic.
– Root made into marmalade used as refrigerant.
– Poultice of carrots also used for ulcers, carbuncles, infected wounds.
– Seeds of the plant when ground to powder and taken as tea for colic and to increase urine flow.
– Tea of carrot blossoms has been used for treatment of dropsy.
-In India, seeds as considered a nervine tonic; Decoction of leaves and seeds used as stimulant to the uterus during parturition. In the Punjab, seeds are used as aphrodisiac and used for uterine pain. Fruit is recommended for chronic diarrhea. Seeds also used as abortifacient.
– In European folk medicine, root decoction used for jaundice and hepat
Healthy recipes with carrot
- Healthy carrot celery apple drink recipe
- Super healthy carrot banana smoothie drink recipe
- Healthy carrot celery drink recipe for good health and beautiful skin
(1) A study of carrot extract revealed it could provide significant protective action in the alleviation of CCl4-induced hepatocellular injury.
(2) Study of carrot extract showed it restored the depressed antioxidants and HDL levels to near normal and afforded a significant protective effect against lindane-induced hepatotoxicity.
Study of the petroleum ether extract of seeds of carrot showed antitumor activity, inhibiting the growth of Ehrlich ascites tumor in mice.
Study or Daucus carota oil showed it to contain high amounts of elemicin with its strong antifungal activity with cytotoxicity and low detrimental effect on mammalian cells.
(1) Study of ethanolic extract exhibited Ca+ channel blocking-like direct relaxant action on cardiac and smooth muscle preparation, an activity probably responsible for its hypotensive effect.
(2) Study results imply that D. carota is a potential source of protection from myocardial infarction and maintenance of its tonicity.
Daucus carota extract significantly reduced brain acetylcholinesterase activity and cholesterol levels in mice. Results suggest it may be a useful remedy for management of cognitive dysfunctions with multifarious beneficial activities including memory improving property, cholesterol lowering benefits and anticholinesterase activity.
Topical application of DC seed extract in rabbits showed a comparatively slower onset of action but the duration of action comparable to pilocarpine in all experimental models.
Study of ethanol extract of D. carota suggest it may prove useful for the management of cognitive dysfunctions with memory improving property, cholesterol lowering and anticholinesterase activity.
Ethanolic extract of seeds exhibited a significant lowering of total cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL ?, and VLDL as compared to the control group. The antioxidant potential of seeds contributed to the reduction of oxidative stress and lipid levels in experimental rats.
Ethanolic seed extract investigated for anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity in acute and chronic models in rats inhibited carrageenan, histamine, and serotonin-induced paw edema. The extract also significantly attenuated the writhing responses induced by intraperitoneal acetic acid injection.
Read about other interesting fruits
Read about herbs and spices
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.
- Diet2019.01.2830 Cancer prevention tips that every one should know
- Diet2019.01.273 Best ways to eat vegetable for more nutrition without killing healthy enzymes
- Beauty2019.01.26Eat more pumpkin for youthful glowing skin (Anti-aging diet)| Benefits & recipe
- Beauty2019.01.26Banana honey beauty recipe for soft glowing skin