The coriander or cilantro has many health benefits and can be used as natural treatment for various problems like skin inflammation,colon cancer, liver disease, lead toxicity, high cholesterol levels, diarrhea, mouth ulcers, anemia, indigestion, menstrual disorders, smallpox, conjunctivitis, skin disorders, eye problems and blood sugar disorders.
Nutritional value of coriander
- Coriander, Coriandrum sativum are also known as Cilantro, Parsley and Dhanya in many household.
- It is known as Coriandro (Spanish), Coriandre (French), Dhaniya, Kothmir (Hindi), Kothamalli vidai (Tamil), Kothambalari (Malayalam), Dhaniyalu (Telugu), Dhoaney (Bengali), Dhane (Marathi), Dhaniya (Gujarati, Oriya, Urdu & Punjabi)
Not just the leaves but coriander seeds also have many medicinal health benefits.
- A 100 grams of coriander seeds has about 298 calories. It is a powerhouse of many vitamins ( Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin), Omega-6 Fatty Acids, and minerals( Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese,Selenium)
Each of these nutrients has their own benefits.
Health benefits of coriander
1. Reduces skin inflammation
Coriander is rich in Cineole and linoleic acid, which possess anti-rheumatic and anti-arthritic properties. Regular eating of coriander leaves and seeds help in reducing swelling caused by these two conditions or some other conditions, such as anemia or swelling due to kidney malfunction. It is diuretic and also helps the release of excess water from the body. This anti-inflammatory effect helps to reduce discomfort and increased functioning of the body.
2. Natural treatment to Skin problems
3. Helps to lower cholesterol levels
Coriander is rich in linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin-C) , which makes it very effective remedy to lower bad cholesterol levels in the blood. Thereby, boosting heart health by avoiding serious cardiovascular issues like artherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes.
It also helps to raise the levels of healthy cholesterol (HDL), which protects body against many problems .
4. Alzheimer’s disease
Coriander has proven useful against protection and improvement in neurodegenerative disorders like alzheimer’s disease.
Coriander is rich in essential oils such as Borneol and Linalool, which has anti-bacterial properties. Including coriander leaves and seeds helps in digestion and curing diarrhea .
6. Prevent various stomach disorders
Coriander is also useful in preventing bloating, nausea, vomiting, and other stomach disorders. It is rich in many bioactive compounds which makes it valuable herb to include in diet on regular basics.
Adding fresh coriander leaves act as excellent appetizers and helps to prepare bowels for fast digestion.
7. Reduces blood pressure
Eating coriander has proven useful in patients suffering from hypertension as it helps to reduce blood pressure. It also helps to relaxes blood vessel tension, which reduces the risk of various cardiovascular conditions, including heart attacks and strokes.
8. Cure mouth ulcers and prevent bad breath
Citronelol, found in coriander act as an excellent antiseptic and antimicrobial. It provide quick healing effect to ulcers in the mouth and freshen up breath.
9. Heavy metal like lead detoxification
Including coriander in diet significantly decreased lead deposition in the femur and reduces the risk of severe lead-induced injury in the kidneys.
10. Natural anxiety control
Studies has found taking coriander seeds as anxiolytic effect and may have potential sedative and muscle relaxant effects.
11. Liver protection
Studies has shown coriander contain certain anti-oxidants phenolic compounds which makes quite useful in liver disease and protects the liver against fatty deposit, ballooning degeneration and necrosis.
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.
- Health2017.10.18Banato / kamala proven benefits, uses and nutrition
- Health2017.07.31Sorghum jowar amazing proven nutritional health benefits uses
- Health2017.07.31Stevia- nutrition, proven benefits, uses, make stevia extract at home from fresh or dried leaves
- Uncategorized2017.07.29What does science says about Monkey tail uses and benefits?