Some of health benefits of bamboo shoots are weight loss, anti-inflammatory, lowers the cholesterol, maintain blood pressure, useful for nerves, brain and diabetes, fights cancer, boost immunity and heart health, treat various stomach disorder, helpful in treatment of allergic diseases and prevent fatigue even after doing heavy exercises.
Nutritional benefits of bamboo shoots
- The biological name of bamboo shoot or bamboo sprouts is Bambusa vulgaris, Phyllostachys edulis.
- It is also commonly know as Bambú (Spanish), Bambou (French), Bambus (Czech), Baans (Hindi), Moongil Kuruthu (Tamil), Mulankoombu (Malayalam), Veduru chiguru (Telugu), Bansberankur (Bengali), Kalkipan (Marathi), Baunsagaja (Oriya), Baans (Urdu & Punjabi) bamboo shavings in many households.
- Bamboo shoots, or bamboo sprouts, are young stems that are harvested before they turn two weeks old and has a height about 30 cm.
- A 100 gm of bamboo shoots have about 12 calories.
- Crispy and crunchy, bamboo shoots contains protein, water, dietary fiber, Omega-3 Fatty Acids,Omega-6 Fatty Acid, vitamins(Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin,Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid) and minerals (calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium).
Health Benefits of Bamboo Shoot
1. Aid in weight loss
Bamboo shoots are very low in calories and high in fiber,which makes it great food to eat for weight loss. Including bamboo shoots in diet helps to keep stomach full for long time, suppresses appetite and reduces food craving. All of this factor contribute towards weight loss.
In a study, bamboo shoots are useful in the treatment of inflammatory conditions including painful joints, rheumatoid arthritis with peptic ulcer and also reduces the pain associated with them.
3. Stomach disorders
Bamboo shoots are rich source of dietary fiber that helps to prevent constipation and stimulate bowel functions. Bamboo shoots along with leaves are often used to treat various stomach disorders including intestinal worms.
4. Useful in chemotherapy
Studies has found, bamboo concentrate enhances the bioavailability and has synergy effect of the chemotherapy agent paclitaxel.
5. Lower cholesterol
Studies has found bamboo extract are rich in triterpenoids which promote reduction of lipid levels in the blood, helps to treat hypertension or high blood pressure and lower the cholesterol.
Study indicated that bamboo extract inhibits breast cancer and possesses a potent anti-breast cancer effect.
In vitro study suggest that hot-compressed-water extracted from bamboo shoots helps to kill acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) cells.
In another in vitro study has found that bamboo leaves are much stronger than that by a known photosensitizer that helps to kill cancer cells.
7. Good for nerves and brain
Including bamboo sprouts or bamboo shoots has a protective effect on nerves against oxidative stress and helps to prevent various nerves degeneration related diseases including Alzheimer, Parkinson, or Huntington disease as well as glaucoma. Studies suggest that Lig-8, a lignophenol derived from bamboo potently suppresses oxidative stress-induced cell suicide or programmed cell death, that make it useful in serious situations including brain damage.
Study suggested that bamboo extract supplementation in elderly men may be protective in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
In another study, bamboo shoot may have anti-apoptotic effects, and can be useful as a supplement for ischemic injury or brain damage treatment.
8. Prevent allergies related diseases
Bamboo shoots has anti-allergic activity and are widely used to treat allergic diseases such as Asthma. Study has found that bamboo shoots reduces the airway inflammation and can be a therapeutic potential for allergic airway disease, including asthma.
In a study, bamboo leaf extract has ability to modifying or regulating one or more immune functions which which inhibits tumor growth. Another study also suggest that hot extract of bamboo leaf can enhance the immune response , free radical scavenging effects, significantly suppresses tumor incidence and tumor growth, and prolongs survival.
10. Skin problem
Study has found that bamboo may be a potential therapeutic agent that helps to suppress the development of Atopic dermatitis also known as atopic eczema or itchy skin disorder.
11. Prevent fatigue
Bamboo shoots has anti-fatigue effect which helps to stay active even after heavy physical activities like weight-loaded swimming and climbing.
12. Cardiovascular health
Bamboo shoots leaves are rich in orientin, a potent compound that provide protection to the heart and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Study suggest that bamboo extract is effective in lowering chronic high glucose in the blood stream. Another study indicates that bamboo extract may prevent lipotoxicity associated with type 2 diabetes. Lipotoxicity arises when cells overeat that results from the accumulation of lipid around kidneys, liver, heart and skeletal muscle, also believed to have a role in heart failure, obesity, and diabetes. In such situation bamboo extract helps in lipo detoxification and prevent it’s related risks.
The hot water extract of the bamboo has anti-viral properties which helps to treat and prevent viral infections.
15. Regulate blood pressure
Bamboo shoots are rich in potassium which plays a key role in maintain blood pressure under control. Also, eating bamboo shoots have stabilizing effects on the arterial blood pressure.
16. Boost immunity
Bamboo shoots are rich in plenty of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that helps to strengthen immune system and protecting the body from various diseases.
Ways to include bamboo shoots in diet
- Try boiled or steamed bamboo shoots with various healthy dips or sauces.
- Add bamboo shoots into salads, soups or curries.
- Celery bamboo shoot salad recipe
- Ferment the bamboo shoots to make pickle.
- Fruits&Vegetables2015.07.30Reasons to stop wasting date palm seeds | proven health benefits, uses, nutrition, recipes
- Acupressure & Massage2015.07.286 Abdominal acupressure points to lose belly fat
- Brain health2015.07.21Top 29 proven reasons to eat clove daily
- Brain health2015.07.11Reasons to not waste pomegranate peel and how to use it for various proven health benefits