Other names include
|ARABIC: Hindiba, Kasiniyah.|
|FRENCH: ChicorÃ©e blanche, Petite endive, Scarole..|
|GERMAN: Endivienwegwarte, Endivien, Endivie, Escariol.|
|JAPANESE: Kiku jisha.|
|TURKISH: Hindiba, Yaban marulu..|
Endive is a cultivated plant consisting of a dense rosette of curly leaves arising from the base. Leaves are brittle, oblong, and lobed or cut. Flowers are purple, the upper ones passing into leafy bracts.
– Native of the Mediterranean region.
– Excellent source of calcium and iron.
– Leaves contain inosit, a bitter principle, ceryl alcohol, d- and B-lactucerol and traces of urea.
Medicinal Properties of endive
– Considered resolvent and cooling.
– Roots considered tonic, demulcent, stimulant, and febrifuge.
– Used for salads, like lettuce.
Folkloric traditional medicine uses, remedies and benefits of endive
– Much valued by the Hakims as a resolvent and cooling medicine and prescribed in bilious complaints.
– Roots used for dyspepsia and fever, as a tonic and demulcent.
– Root considered warm stimulating, and febrifuge.
– Fruit is a cooling remedy for fevers, headaches and jaundice.
Scientific proven health benefits and uses of Endive
Study of the roots isolated twelve known sesquiterpene lactones and a new gualanolid 10b-methoxy-1a,11b,13-tetrahydrolactucin with three known phenolic esters.
Application of a root extract on the skin prior to UVB irradiation totally prevented erythema. Study suggests C. endivia extracts might possess sun-protective qualities that make them potentially useful as sunscreens.
Study evaluated the in vitro and in vivo hepatoprotective properties of C. endivia extract. Results showed CEE significantly blocked oxidative stress and cytotoxicity induced by t-BPH in HepG2 cells. Phytochemical screening yielded five compounds: 2-furanmethanol-(5’â†’11)-1,3-cyclopentadiene-[5,4-c]-1H-cinnoline, 2-phenylethyl-Î²-D-glucopyranoside, kaempferol-3-O-Î²-D-glucoside, kaempferol, and adenosine. Results suggest CEE may be a valid safe remedy to cure liver disease.
The anticancer activity of root extract was examined on a breast cancer line MFC7 and compared with anticancer 5FU (5-fluorouracil). The expression of DNA markers was high both in cells treated with 5FU and root extract. Results show C. endivia contains a combination of phenolic compounds and presents as anticancer especially for breast cancer.
Study evaluated the antidiabetic effect of an aqueous suspension of CE leaves powder in STZ-induced diabetic rats. Results indicated the role of oxidative stress in diabetes induction and showed a protective and/or ameliorative effect of CE, similar to glibenclamide.
Read about other interesting fruits
Read about herbs and spices
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.