Eating mango seeds regularly has many health benefits include treating dandruff, improve the appearance of skin & hair, soothe digestion, prevent diabetic symptoms, and aid in weight loss. It is store house of many nutrients, active ingredients, a number of bioactive, phenolic, and antioxidant compounds, as well as unsaturated fatty acids.
What Is Mango Seed?
The scientific name of the Mango tree is Mangifera indica.
Mango is tropical fruit, but very few people recognize the medicinal value of the seed. Hence, often it is discarded and ignored, while it could be used for a variety of medicinal purposes.
Once these seeds are completely cleaned off and dried, then grind them into a powder. This can be made into various pastes by adding different herbs and mango butter for topical use.
The seed of unripe mangoes are edible, can be eaten directly. But once a mango has fully ripened, the seed get harden, which then can only be used in a powdered form.
How To Eat Mango Seed?
- Step 1 – Find an unripe mango, which should be green in color, rather than orange or red.
- Step 2 – The flesh of this fruit may not be fully sweetened, so remove the seed with a spoon or knife.
- Step 3 – Wash off or suck off the remaining flesh around the central seed.
- Step 4 – Using a sharp knife, you can easily slice through the soft, white seed.
- Step 5 – Consume the seed raw.
How to make Mango seed powder at home?
- Step 1 – Find an ripe mango, which should be yellow, orange or red in color.
- Step 2 – Eat or remove the sweet flesh, leaving behind large hard seed of the mango fruit.
- Step 3 – Wash the seed and let it dry under sun or freeze dried.
- Step 4 – Remove the hard layer of the seeds and grind the inside seeds well.
Mango Seed Benefits
Beauty or Skin Care
As mango seeds are rich in antioxidants and volatile compounds, that can help improve the appearance of the skin, reducing irritation, inflammation, such as acne, pigmentation, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
Just apply the mango seed powder mixed with honey or rosewater on is to the affected area.
Hair Care & Dandruff
Prepare a hair mask with powdered mango seed and water, that helps to strengthen your hair follicles, particularly when you rub the paste into your scalp. This can also eliminate inflammatory conditions, such as dandruff.
Studies have found that regular supplementation with mango seed extract results in more blood sugar control, which is good for people with diabetics or those at risk for developing this disease.
From your digestive system and chronic disease to hemorrhoids and symptoms of gout, the anti-inflammatory properties of mango seed are well known, both traditionally and in modern times, and can provide a wide range of benefits.
Research has proven that extracts from mango seed are able to lower overall cholesterol levels, while also stimulating the metabolism and promoting weight loss, all of which can improve overall cardiovascular health.
Read about other interesting fruits
Read about herbs and spices