– Similar to the pineapple (Ananas comosus) but the leaves have broad white stripes at the margins and the flowers are borne in showy, red heads.
– Red pineapple is an evergreen erect plant with small, violet-purple flowers that emerge between spiny, red or pink bracts on egg-shaped inflorescences. Inflorescences are followed by pink to scarlet, leafy topped, compound pineapple fruits. Leaves are linear, arching, solid dark green or variegated with white, pink, red or yellow, edged with sharp spines that curve up toward the leaf tips.
Native to Brazil.
Leaves and roots.
• Fruit and stems yield bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme used for treatment of trauma and inflammation.
• Study of various extracts yielded 9 compounds – campesterol, 3ß, 6ß-cholestanodiol, stigmasterol, sitosterol, 2-glyceryl ester of p-coumaric acid, a new compound 2-glyceryl ester of ferulic acid and 5,7,4′-trihydroxy-3,3′-5′-trimethoxy flavone, 3ß-O-glycopyranosyl sitosterol, 2-glyceryl ester of ferulic acid, and 2 new glycosides of ananasic acid.
• Purification of crude methanolic extract of leaves yielded four metabolites: 2-O-feruloyl glyceride, 2-O-p-coumaroyl glyceride, 5,7,4’-trihydroxy- 3,3’,5’-trimethoxy avone and 3-O-β-D-glucopyranosyl sitosterol. (see study)
Medicinal Properties of red pineapple
• Antidiarrheal, abortifacient.
• Studies have suggested antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
• Red fruit is edible.
Folkloric traditional medicine uses, remedies and benefits of red pineapple
• Root decoction used for diarrhea.
• In Africa, as abortifacient in a herbal concoction of Persea americana leaves, Curcuma longa rhizomes, Ananas bracteatus leaves, barks of Moringa oleifera and Leucana leucocephala.
Scientific proven health benefits and uses of red pineapple
Study of various extracts yielded 9 compounds – campesterol, 3ß, 6ß-cholestanodiol, stigmasterol, sitosterol, 2-glyceryl ester of p-coumaric acid, a new compound 2-glyceryl ester of ferulic acid and 5,7,4′-trihydroxy-3,3′-5′-trimethoxy flavone, 3ß-O-glycopyranosyl sitosterol, 2-glyceryl ester of ferulic acid, and 2 new glycosides of ananasic acid.
• Bromelain / Anti-Inflammatory / reduces pain, inflammation and swelling:
Fruit and stems yield bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme used for treatment of trauma and inflammation. Studies suggest its anti-inflammatory effects is through its ability to decrease the migration of immune cells to the site of acute inflammation as well as decrease the secretion of inflammatory chemical agents such as interferon-gamma, interleukins and tumor necrosis factor.
• Bromelain / Dermatologic Benefits:
In dermatology, oral bromelain has been shown to be effective in the treatment of Pityriasis lichenoides chronica. A dermatologic condition of unknown etiology, bromelain’s effect is thought to be due to its anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and/or antiviral properties.
Study evaluated 20 different extracts from six Brazilian Bromeliaceae species for antioxidant activity by assessment of their capacity to scavenge DPPH radicals. Among the leaf extracts, a crude methanolic extract of Ananas bracteatus showed significant antiradical activity. Purification of extract yielded four metabolites.
Read about other interesting fruits
Read about herbs and spices
- Unbiased Scientific Evidence base research for holistic health and wellness through everything natural.
- Uncategorized2018.01.0510 Best food to eat for cellulite removal
- Diet2018.01.04Eat 7 best food to remove bloating, gases, swelling or excess fluids from body
- Health2018.01.037 Best foods to eat for anemia | increase red blood count | iron deficiency
- Eye health2018.01.0210 Best food to eat for healthy eyes | improve eyesight naturally + eye care tips