Nutmeg is used in food preparations for its aromatic flavor and has many health benefits. It is effective in lowering cholesterol and triglycerides levels in the blood that promote heart health, improves memory and learning activity of the brain, useful in depression, improve libido and potency, reduces formation of dangerous blood clot, strong antibacterial and antioxidant properties, prevent and treat dental problems like oral plague, and helps fight cancer.
Nutritional value and facts about nutmeg
- The biological name of nutmeg is Myristica fragrans.
- It is also known as Nuez moscada (Spanish), Noix de muscade (French), Jaiphal, Zaiphal (Hindi), Jaathikkaai (Tamil), Jathikka (Malayalam), Jaji kayi (Telugu), Jayfa (Gujarati), Jaifall (Bengali), Jaiphal (Marathi, Punjabi & Urdu), Jaiphala (Oriya).
- 1 tsp i.e abot 2g of nutmeg powder contain 11 calories.
- It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, and a very good source of Manganese.
- It contains Dietary Fiber, Omega-6 Fatty Acids, vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Choline) and minerals (Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium).
- Top 12 reasons to eat Oregano for good health
- Proven 55 health benefits and uses of Ginger
Health benefits of eating Nutmeg
1. Improve memory
Intake of nutmeg is useful in treatment of memory disorders.
Studies has shown that taking nutmeg for 3 successive days significantly improved learning and memory.
Study has found that Licorice, Nutmeg, and vitamin C (ascorbic acid) have acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting associated with improved memory and learning activity.
Studies indicate that Nutmeg demonstrates antidepressant activity.
3. Lower cholesterol and dissolve plaque
Studies has found that nutmeg has a cholesterol lowering and plaque dissolving effect in condition like high levels of cholesterol in the blood. Intake of nutmeg also prevented the accumulation of cholesterol, phospholipids and triglycerides in liver, heart and aorta and dissolved atheromatous plaques of aorta by 70.9-76.5%. Fecal excretion of cholesterol and phospholipid were significantly increased in nutmeg seed extract.
All this reduces the risk of arteriosclerosis which is thickening, hardening and loss of elasticity of the walls of arteries.
4. Lowers lipid level and anti-platelet
Studies has found that Nutmeg has lipid lowering and anti-platelet effect. Taking nutmeg daily significantly lower levels of total cholesterol in heart and liver. This is effective in treatment of
hyperlipidemia and thrombosis .
Nutmeg is good for heart health as it helps to reduces high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides from the blood. It helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
5. Useful in Seizures
Studies has indicated that indicate that nutmeg oil may be effective against grand mal and partial seizures, as it prevents seizure spread.
6. Improve sex life
Studies has found that nutmeg possesses significant aphrodisiac properties and useful in people with low libido. Nutmeg helps to increase both libido and potency, which might be attributed to its nervous stimulating property.
In another study, taking nutmeg and clove enhanced the sexual behavior in males.
7. Reduces formation of blood clot
Studies indicate that Nutmeg has antithrombotic properties which means that it reduces the formation of blood clots (thrombi). Antithrombotics agent can be used therapeutically for prevention or treatment of a dangerous blood clot (acute thrombus).
Nutmeg has found to be strong antioxidant properties which helps to fight against free radical and oxidative stress damage. Along with it study has found that nutmeg has proven to inhibit LDL i.e bad cholesterol oxidation, which thereby reduces the risk of many associated diseases like atherosclerosis.
10. Useful in Osteoporosis
Study has found that machilin A, a compound found within nutmeg, may have anabolic activity in bone metabolism . Nutmeg are good for bone health and can be useful in prevention or treatment of osteoporosis.
11. Dental health or oral care
Nutmeg is a potent natural anti-biofilm or anti-plague agent against oral primary colonizers. It can reduce more than 50% of oral biofilms in 30 minutes treatment with nutmeg.
Studies indicate that nutmeg contains a compound with potent anti-biofilm activity against oral bacteria.
12. Anti-cancer or anti-tumor
- 21 Reasons to eat more tamarind daily for better health
- 8 Best fruits to eat for fast weight loss and constipation relief
Ways to include nutmeg spice in your diet
- Try adding nutmeg powder in sweets, pies, custards, desserts, puddings or cookies.
- Add it into your teas, soups, curries or even smoothies.